The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced on Friday that manufacturer Jennie-O Turkey Store Sales, Inc. had recalled around 164,210 pounds of products containing raw, ground turkey.
The latest announcement from the FSIS comes a little over a month since Jennie-O Turkey was forced to recall 91,388 pounds of raw ground turkey in November.
The ground turkey products were produced in Minnesota on October 22 and 23 and are labeled with establishment number P-579 on the side of the tray. The FSIS is working closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as the meat could be linked to 216 illnesses spread across 38 states, as well as Washington, D.C.
The items that might be contaminated were shipped across the USA and produced on two days: October 22 and 23.
Jenny-O Turkey was also involved in a recall of 147,276 pounds of raw ground turkey in mid-November. "15% Fat" with a "Use or freeze by" date of November 12 on the side of the trays.
Saints overcome stagnant offense as mistakes doom Panthers in crippling loss
Carolina Panthers running back and Colorado-native Christian McCaffrey ran his way into the record books on Monday night. There will be plenty of questions for head coach Ron Rivera and how to address the team's future in the offseason.
3-lb. packages of "STATER BROS". "P-579" inside the USDA mark of inspection or on the side of the tray", the Food Safety and Inspection Service said in a news release.
A patient in MI tested positive for salmonella after consuming some of the affected ground turkey. Symptoms typically begin one to three days after exposure, and the illness can last for up to seven days.
The Public Health Agency of Canada also reported on Friday 22 cases of salmonella linked to raw turkey and chicken, spanning four provinces. "Many of the individuals who became sick reported eating different types of turkey and chicken products before their illnesses occurred".
Bacteria samples taken from the patient were a close genetic match to bacteria found in unopened packages of Jennie-O turkey products in the patient's home.
Consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Most people recover on their own.