Doctors in Wisconsin say he more than likely contracted it from his dog's saliva.
However, the damage was not just limited to Manteufel's limbs.
Here's what you need to know.
Greg Manteufel, 48, landed in the emergency room after believing he had the flu. Surprisingly enough, they did do it, ' she said.
"It hit him with a vengeance. It looked like someone beat him up with a baseball bat", she said.
The otherwise healthy father was so severely struck down by the disease that he went into septic shock.
He was not bitten by the animal, with medics saying it is rare for a person to fall victim to such an infection when they haven't been bitten.
The response caused his blood pressure to drop and circulation in his limbs to decrease quickly. It was either that, or the bacteria would spread and eventually kill him.
Doctors were forced to amputate Manteufel's legs in order to keep him alive. He then needed an additional surgery to remove half of both forearms.
Within a week at the hospital, the 48-year-old who paints houses for a living and loves to ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle lost his legs.
7 ways to reduce your junk food cravings
After discovering the Manteufels have a pet dog named Ellie, the medical staff told Dawn that her husband likely was infected after being licked.
Manteufel has a long road to recovery, but part of that process will hopefully include prosthetic limbs.
A GoFundMe account set up to cover medical expenses has raised more than $27,000, as of Wednesday morning.
On the page, Manteufel's family commended him for his courage throughout the scary ordeal. It's situation Manteufel's wife, Dawn Manteufel, still does not understand.
Up to 74% of dogs and 57% of cats carry the bacteria that can cause these infections, Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but in most cases, people only get infected after being bitten.
Capnocytophaga Canimorsus, a bacterial pathogen, is typically found in the saliva of cats and dogs.
One 2014 study from Japan found the bacteria to be present in 69 percent of dogs and 54 percent of cats. People over age 40 are more at-risk. "He had somehow contracted the bacteria Capnocytophaga Canimorsus", reads the post on the family's GoFundMe page.
The bacteria can be transmitted by biting, licking or even close contact with canines or felines. A report in the journal BMJ Case Reports in 2016 said these infections were an important cause of sepsis in the elderly, and described them as the "lick of death".
Symptoms typically occur within 3 to 5 days.
Trump denies foreknowledge of meeting with Russians
But Davis said the president's team "forfeited all confidentiality" when Giuliani talked publicly last week about the tape. The President's attorney dropped the bombshell during an interview on CBS this Sunday.