Guantanamo detainee transferred to Saudi custody, 1st for Trump administration

Adjust Comment Print

In January, Trump signed an executive order keeping the prison open and asking the Defense Department and other agencies to draft recommendations for how the United States should handle terrorism suspects captured overseas, including the question of whether and how they might be sent to Guantanamo. He had originally been scheduled to return home as part of a plea deal no later than February 20.

The prison, opened by Republican President George W. Bush to hold terrorism suspects captured overseas after the September 11, 2001, attacks came to symbolize harsh detention practices that opened the United States to accusations of torture. In contrast, President Donald Trump campaigned on a pledge to keep it open and "load it up with bad dudes".

A Pentagon official says the changes apply to those captured in battle and provide guidance on detainees who present a continuing and specific threat to US security.

His lead protection counsel, Ramzi Kassem, stated the switch was the fruits of "16 lengthy and painful years in captivity" by the U.S.at Guantanamo and in Afghanistan, together with his youngsters rising up with out him and his personal father dying.

"My words will not do justice to what I lived through in these years and to the men I leave behind in prison", he said.

Al-Darbi was captured on the airport in Baku, Azerbaijan, in June 2002 and brought to the US base in Bagram, Afghanistan.

Goldman Sachs Opening Bitcoin Trading Desk
Rana Yared , one of Goldman's executives overseeing the creation of the trading operation, was interviewed by the New York Times. Goldman Sachs is launching the Bitcoin trading desk after the bank's board of directors signed off the move.

In an announcement launched by Kassem, who was a part of a authorized group that included two army officers, al-Darbi described what he anticipated to be an emotional reunion together with his household in Saudi Arabia.

"I can not thank enough my wife and our children for their patience and their love. I've never held my son".

The U.S. military has long struggled with what to do about prisoners of war in an open-ended battle against Islamist extremism, in which militants have come from all corners of the world to fight in places like Syria. Now, having complied with the terms of that agreement, al Darbi will serve out the balance of his 13-year sentence in Saudi Arabia. While he had already been captured by the time the French oil tanker, the MV Limburg, was attacked in October 2002, he was charged in connection to that assault. Neither case has gone to trial.

The very short resolution, cited as the Authorization for Use of Military Force, gives the United States an extremely broad authority to use military force against "those responsible for the attacks on September 11, 2001 and any associate forces."The legislation has given the USA the authority to attack and capture several so-called "offshoots" of al-Qaeda, and remain in the region long after Osama Bin Laden's death".

At the height of its operations, the prison held 780 people, mostly inmates with alleged ties to al-Qaida and the Taliban.

Comments